Sunday, January 13, 2008

words have meaning

These photos of Goshawks of Apache Junction combined with photos of Goshawks of Anacortes will also be added to my blog www.goshawksofanacortes.blogspot.com. As we are instructed in tai-chi that arm is arm; leg is leg; and shoulder is shoulder - so is Goshawk is Goshawk; and Cooper's Hawk is Cooper's Hawk. There is a world of difference between a Cooper's Hawk and a Northern Goshawk. I am referring particularly to raptors in flight. Getting back to field marks - I do not use field marks to identify many raptors. Please notice - Pete Dunne's "Hawks in Flight", and William Clark's "Hawks". Please read the literature; the photos are of a secondary nature. Words have meaning. The simple way that I write my field notes have meaning. I do use field marks to sex and age raptors. Sometimes, I chase raptors on foot, bicycle, or truck. This action can be easily accomplished, since one of my main strategies is to nearly- always try and hawk watch from the "flats".

No comments: